Sunday 12 April 2015

5* Review: The Day We Disappeared - Lucy Robinson



Annie has a secret. But if she's not going to tell, we won't either. It's a heart-breaking secret she wishes she didn't have - yet Annie isn't broken, not quite yet. Especially now there's someone out there who seems determined to fix her.

Kate has run away. But she's not going to tell us why - that would defeat the point of running, wouldn't it? It's proving difficult to reinvent herself, however, with one person always on her mind.

Scratch beneath the surface and nobody is really who they seem. Even Annie and Kate, two old friends, aren't entirely sure who they are any more. Perhaps you can work it out, before their pasts catch up with them for good . . .


Firstly, I think I may have found a really strong contender for the best book I will read this year. It may only be April, but when you know...

Now I'm not normally one who manages to keep a secret, so I will say very little as this little book holds some big secrets. I expected twists so unfortunately I kept anticipating what they would be and coming up with outlandish theories, please be more grown up than me when reading and don't let it spoil your enjoyment of this fantastic piece of writing, and very clever it is!

What wonderful protagonists we have in Kate and Annie, both are fragile characters, both guarding secrets and one very much on the run from something. The tale is told alternating between the two, and with wonderful supporting characters, my favourite being Becca who is just so funny, yet caring and a wonderful friend. I loved the fact that Kate found solace working as a junior groom in a stable yard (even if she didn't know the first thing about horses), I love the description of the horses and in particular the lovely, gorgeous, wonderful Stumpy. The backstory of Annie's life really is tragic, dark and difficult to imagine but her family and her close friends, Le cloob (an homage to her French friend Claudine who can only possibly eat in French restaurants) are just incredibly wonderful.

That really is as much of the story as I am willing to share for the fear of dropping a clanger and revealing spoilers, but please do read this as I'm certain you will not be disappointed!
I love Lucy Robinson's storytelling. I adore the voice she gives her characters, and her humour really is second to none. 



No comments:

Post a Comment